Friday, July 09, 2010

RA summer exhibition



Ruth and I went to see the Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy, these hare sculptures are the installation outside.
I like to go each year, though I haven't entered work there for some time. I like to see what's been chosen, it is so subjective, the choices made by invited artists in some rooms as well as the work chosen from the public submissions.This year a lot of the work chosen from the public seemed more traditional, which was interesting.
There were a lot of more English colours, muted in tone and work that could have been produced a century ago or more. Not that this was a bad thing, just a bit surprising, as the RA had been going more modern recently.

Room 5 had some great work including pieces by Tacita Dean, Tim Lewis's tiny people and Paul Arney's cast aluminium "Winter Lake".

In room 7 David Mach had a huge intricate collage that I really liked and in the large Weston room were a number of artists books exhibited for the first time. I was pleased to see the books and that the RA is promoting them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment