Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Trip to Venice

I was lucky to have a few days in Venice at the end of March, a place I have always wanted to see, as so many artists have painted the city, lagoon and canals.













We were staying very close to St Mark's Square and spent the days walking the streets, taking photographs and making a few sketches. Many shops had glass, stationary and masks in them. Most of the glass from the island of Murano, made in a vast range of products from jewelry to intricate sculptures. I was drawn to the handmade books with marbled or block printed covers and bought one small sketchbook.


It was a very different feel with no cars, buses taxis etc on the main island and walking was much more enjoyable.

We visited the Peggy Guggenheim gallery, her house in Venice, filled with amazing art work, chosen by her for her home. The view from the terrace across the Grand Canal was stunning. I could see why she would have chosen this beautiful place to live in.

The winged lion of Venice was very much part of my experience and I felt very connected to the history and symbolism of the city.




No comments:

Post a Comment